Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Basement Family Room

In our basement we have a blessing and a curse: it's our family room and it's enormous! I love that there is so much space down there but it also boggles my mind because you easily have enough space for a fifth bedroom in addition to the family room. But now that the supporting walls are in it would be quite the feat to accomplish.
Before
Before

The family room used to be wood paneled and wallpaper with carpet original to the house.  I decided to keep the paneling and paint it white.  I removed the wallpaper and painted the top half Pebble Gray.  It seems so easy writing about it but it. took. so. long!  I really feel, now that it's all finished, that this room is one of the biggest visual changes.
Down with the wallpaper!

 It took 3 coats.  1 coat of  Kilz primer and 2 coats of Glidden Pure White Semi-Gloss Paint+Primer


 Progress!
Glidden Pebble Gray is up!

I love the way it looks now!

Like a lot of people we are remodeling our home on a budget and that includes the decorating.  Everything that we have purchased for our house has been from a yard sale or severely discounted at the store.  It's great on my bank account but hard on my patience!  It paid off in this room.  We were able to snag the sectional for $40, all the wall decor for another $40, and the TV stand for $15!  

We use one half (the wider part) as a big TV area and reading nook.  And there's another half that is thinner; it has a fireplace at one end which is great but unfortunately it isn't wide enough for a couch set.  I'm still deciding how to arrange the seating area without it looking unnatural with the TV area directly behind.

Thanks for Reading!

Valerie









No comments:

Post a Comment